|This year I made my own pickling spice|
|The LAST jar from 2010 Good timing|
|fresh fresh fresh|
Last night we pickled the first lug. I couldn't find my recipe from the previous year so I thought I would try something out of this Put em Up book we got this last year. I didn't think anything of the recipe but I did make a few changes according to what spices I had on hand, nothing that would have a huge impact on the final product. This morning I wake up to my husband saying we boiled the jars too long. Now I remember boiling the jars for the same amount of time, I was positive of that. But something did go wrong. Upon inspecting his claim I found the asparagus to be stringy, limp, looking nothing like our previous years.
|Jars just out of the pot|
|Next morning.... all wrinkled???|
So I went on a hunt for my old recipe this morning and found it. I also looked at a whole bunch of other recipes while I was at it. All the recipes vary from 10 min. bath to 20 min. bath. So I'm fine there. No way would a few minutes cause such a deformity. So I started to look into ingredients and guess what. Every recipe I found has either equal amounts of vinegar and water, or either more water than vinegar. The recipe I pulled from our canning book had us do a 4 to 1 ratio with vinegar being the 4. And the vinegar they suggested was cider vinegar. Here is a link to the page.
We are expecting our next couple of lugs this weekend when his folks come to visit. This time we will use our original recipe.
I just found this page that gives me a lot more information about our Yakima grass. Link
It tell me that the wrinkling will go away after a few weeks on the shelf and it also touches on the subject of vinegar. From what I can conclude I think this batch will be OK but we will use our old recipe next time.