Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Book Wish List

Bellow are a few books that I've had my eye on lately.
I have a shelf full of art books that I will weed out this spring for the Artist Garage Sale.  Many of the art books I have I never use anymore, I've simply outgrown them.  The only reason to hang onto them would be for teaching purposes, so I will have to make some decisions about which ones to sell.  Depending on how well my old unused books move at the Artist Garage Sale, I might invest in books listed below.

New Acrylics: Essential Source Book
By: Rheni Tauchid
I've had the pleasure of reading through this book pretty extensively when I was working in art retail many years ago.  I fell in love with it then and should have bought a copy but didn't.  There is now a new version out that I have not had a look at.  If it's anything like the first, I highly recommended it.
This book looks at all the mediums available for acrylics, and the possibilities.  For example all the sculpture techniques, transferring mediums, glazes, and so much more.  I learned how to use absorbent ground to prep canvas or any surface to accept water color.  Or how to pour acrylics into sheets to cut up for mosaic application.


The Printmaking Bible
By: Ann d’Arcy Hughes and Hebe Vernon-Morris
The second book on my list I have also had the pleasure of thumbing through although not so extensively.  I found it at an art store in Portland, and once again I should have bought it but didn't.  This book tells you everything you would want to know about printmaking processes.  It's a great resource to refresh skills and learn new skills.  I would like this book as a reference as I start to expand my printing techniques and look at inviting people to my studio for lessons and demos.






By: Cathy A. Malchiodi

The third book I have on my wish list is for my own learning.  It's an art therapy book.  Once upon a time I played with the idea of going into this field.  I don't know if I could be a psychologist on any level though.  I expect too much from people, and this makes me awfully grumpy.  But I am a firm believer that anyone can do art, and that art can have healing, eye opening effects on the creator.  I would like to learn more about this subject and this book seems to be recommended all across the field.  That and there is a whole section of different activities.
On a side note of this subject, I truly dislike when people dig too deep into a meaning of a painting/print.  I've run across people who think they have me pegged from one picture and try to analyze me.  This makes me very grumpy.  Perhaps the image was telling a story of someone else and has no relation to me.  Or perhaps I just wanted to vent.  Sometimes a picture is just a picture, and has no hidden agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment